Tuesday, April 8, 2008

~Blessed~

Yesterday after getting home with Ripley from having his bandage changed I noticed that it seemed rather loose. Later in the evening it had slipped down and some of his stitches were exposed. I took some gauze and tape and put it around the top of his leg to cover the area that was exposed.

This morning when I went and checked on the fella, low and behold he had managed to get the bandage all the way off. It was somewhat frustrating as the surgeon's office is at least 30 minutes from my house and I had quite a bit of work to get done today.

So..as I also needed to run to the office this morning I packed Ripley up. We were going to run by the office and then head up to see the nurse to get his leg re-wrapped.

I was once told (I haven't checked for sure yet) that most accidents happen less than 2 miles from your home. Do you know where I'm going with this?

We were sitting at a stop light waiting to turn left. Ripley actually was laying in the front passenger seat asleep because I had given him part of a sedative because I do not want to go down this road again with him. He was being very calm and good. He normally wants to see what all is going on while we are driving.

My light turned green. I sat there for a moment before starting to initiate my turn. I had just starting making my turn.....when the next thing I know my airbags have been deployed..Ripley is in the front passenger floorboard..and I just sat there for a moment while my windshield is cracking and the airbags are going down and there is smoke from the airbags. I then panicked a bit as I tried to get Ripley out of the floor to see if he is okay.

When I pulled the airbag up, he was trying to peaking his little face out from the airbag. We were probably seeing the same look on each other's face. My first thought to myself was "WHAT NEXT?"

There were a lot of people who stopped to help and to call the necessary people. It seemed like they arrived instantly. Ripley sat in my lap shaking for a very long time. This poor dog has been through so much in the last couple of months.

This all still seems so unreal! An elderly lady who I guess never realized her light was RED came through the light. That is very apparent by the impact. There were numerous witnesses to the accident who stopped, provided help where it was needed and also provided their statements.

Other than being really shaken up, I think Ripley is okay. He is being checked Thursday. As for me, the only thing that is evident at this time is some cuts and burns on my right arm, I guess from the air bag.

My car most likely is totaled. There wasn't much left to the front of it. I could be wrong. Doesn't it always happen just about the time you have it paid off? It was towed to a place just right by my house. I couldn't really think today, so there are things I need to get out of it.

For the biggest part of the day I kept thinking "what else can happen." I wasn't planning on getting a new car when I paid mine off. It is still in good condition so I thought it would be good to keep it for a while.

My sweet niece, Jenny called me this evening after Donna my sister told her about the accident. Jenny has recently bought a new car and is selling her old car herself. She offered to let me drive her car if I needed it. She was asking about the accident and I told her "at first I kept thinking, what else can happen. Okay, I've reached my limit." But...then I took a moment and thought...if I had started driving right when the light turned green or if I had been up just a bit, it could have turned out totally different.

So, I'm feeling BLESSED today. Even though I didn't want to be involved in an accident. Hassle with all of the things that go along with the accident, leasing a car, possibly finding a new car...AT LEAST IT ONLY APPEARS AT THIS TIME THAT I HAVE SOME MINOR BURNS AND CUTS FROM THE AIR BAG AND RIPLEY IS OKAY.

1 comment:

Jenn_N_Luc said...

So sorry to hear about your accident. But, very happy to hear you and Ripley are both ok. I always worry about that with Lucie. I've thought, several times, that I should get some sort of seat to strap her in. She always rides in my lap. I know it's not safe.

Keeping you in my prayers that this "hassle" will turn into a "blessing." I just love the song below...

God Will Make This Trial a Blessing

VERSE 1
I’ve just come into a valley one like I’ve never been before
I keep searching for a way out seems like padlocks are on the doors
Oh there must be another sunrise another sunset that I’ll see
God will make this trial a blessing that’s the love He has for me

CHORUS
God will make this trial a blessing though it sends me to my knees
Though my tears flow like a river yet in Him there’s sweet relief
There’s no need to get discouraged there’s no need to talk defeat
God will make this trial a blessing and the whole wide world will see

VERSE 2
I was not the first one to come into this place
You see every child of God this test he must face
It is here that God will mold you and make you what you ought to be
God will make this trial a blessing just be patient you will see

VERSE 3
Now I’m standing on the mountain looking back and I can see
When I was in that lowest valley His strong hand was leading me
Oh it’s good to see the sunshine and to taste sweet victory
God has made this trial a blessing oh the grace He gives to me