Monday, June 16, 2008

~Praying For Our Enemies~

Here is a portion of an article that I felt was most fitting for today. This article or a portion of it may apply to something you are dealing with now, recently or in the future:

"Enemies are the people who have been the most hurtful, caused the most suffering and produced the most devastating effects in our lives. They are often those who have been close to us. They may be people who have had considerable influence over us in some way. Their words and actions have created deep scars or left gaping wounds in our heart and mind.

Even as we strive to forgive them, we can be overwhelmed by the havoc and anguish that still remains. God’s solution may seem untenable or irrational to us. “Therefore ‘if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head’” (Romans 12:20).

The instruction becomes clearer when we consider the exhortation of Jesus Christ. “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you… Therefore you shall be perfect [Greek teleios, complete, mature], just as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:44, 48).

When we begin to pray for our enemies, we begin to diminish their effect upon our lives and end an adversarial relationship. Through the process of asking God to bless and forgive
them, our revenge and hurtful feelings begin to leave. The more we pray for them, the more the negative feelings toward them diminish. As we request blessings and healing for our enemies, our own healing will begin to take place.


In certain cases of personal injury, anger or rage, we may feel the need to ask God to remove the pain from our life and grant us His peace. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).

I have a couple of personal matters that need prayer. Please pray God's will.

"Psalm 13: 1 O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way? 2 How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand? 3 Turn and answer me, O Lord my God! Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die. 4 Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him! Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall. 5 But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me. 6 I will sing to the Lord because he is good to me."

No comments: