Saturday, July 19, 2008

~Who Do You Serve?~

I ran across this devotional by pastor, James McDonald:

Choose this day whom you will serve. Joshua 24:15

Everybody serves somebody. Everybody has somebody in charge of his life. I’m not sure that Bob Dylan got a lot of things right, but he was right on target when he wrote the song, “Gotta Serve Somebody.” It’s the truth:

• Some people choose an esteemed person to serve. They make the dangerous choice to look to an authority figure, a pastor, a professor, or a politician. Problem is, look closely enough and you’ll see that person’s massive imperfections and become disillusioned.

• Some people serve a close relationship as their ultimate authority. “I just do whatever my wife wants.” Or “Unless my son is happy, I can’t be either.” Psychologists call it codependency, when you’re so wired into another person that your life goes sideways if his gets off track.

• Some people decide to serve a mission, a value, or an organization. They’re always raising the flag for some important cause. We feed the poor, we save the trees, or we elect the best possible candidates.

• Some people serve a personal agenda. I’ll get this degree; I’ll reach this milestone; I’ll break this record; I’ll build this company. Of course, that’s just a thinly veiled version of the most common one, the goal that most people are pursuing...

• Most people serve themselves. Most people live by this philosophy. At the end of the day, I’ll do what works for me. I’m the one who’s in charge here. That’s the religion of the masses.

If you have never made a choice, a real choice, for Jesus Christ as Lord, you probably are on this last agenda by default. You may not feel like you chose, but by not making a deliberate, conscious choice, you have been swept up in the cultural current and carried along in the whitewater of living for self.

Far truer than people are willing to admit, you choose who you serve. Your life can be different, your choice to change it is right within your grasp. The person who adamantly claims he has no choice is at that moment making the choice to articulate his frustration about the pressure from others to choose what he wants. Still, we choose whether or not to accept the pressure.

As much as someone might love you, no one can choose for you. Even God, who loves you perfectly, will not choose for you. There are simply some crucial decisions you have to make for yourself. The ball is in your court. Joshua was right when he challenged Israel, “Choose this day whom you will serve” (Joshua 24:15).

9 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Cheryl,

This was awesome! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hope you have a peaceful Sunday and enjoy the Lord!!

Blessings♥

Peggy said...

Thank you Cheryl for sharing this Walk in the Word with Pastor James McDonald!

Be Still and Know Sunday...I know that I have CHOSEN to serve Jesus but I also must confess that at one time or another in my life, I have served probably in each of those other ones...thinking I was doing the "right" thing to see time and time again it fail. I've seen far too much of the last one in lives of people I love and it definitely did its damage. I will not submit to the current forshadowing many for I know that to serve Jesus is all that matters and is so worthwhile! The others bring demise...but Jesus helps me arise...far above the helpless cries...of my past or bad choices.
He turns it around for good when you can surrender and let it go to Him or for Him! He never fails!

I'm inspired! Thank you for blessing my thoughts this Still Sunday!

Darlene said...

This is a great devotion. Choose this day whom you will serve...I choose God. It is a choice and we can't make it for others. Oh if we could how.. different life would be. I agree with Peggy ...I too at different times in my life that I have not put Jesus first. Thankfully during those times HE never left me. God is so good!
Thanks for sharing!
Darlene

Memphis Mimi said...

Cheryl, I have some very important information for Cora on how she can get some help with her cancer treatment. I left a comment on her last post but there are so many comments that I don't know if she will see it. If you know how to get in touch with her please have her email me at teri.calhoun@gmail.com or
check out my comments on her post 2 days ago about her family helping her pay for her meds. Thanks. Love your site. Will look at it more closely later. Right now I have to get Cora's attention. Thanks.

Christina said...

Yes everyday is a choice and I try to make it for Jesus. I want to serve Him and put nothing else before my service to God. This isn't always easy but it is worth it. There have been many times that other things come first, but like Darlene said thankfully, in those times, He never left me either and He never lets go.

Laurie Ann said...

Great post, Cheryl! It's so easy to get side-tracked on serving the world...getting our focus back on serving God rather than other unfulfilling persons or things is defintely key. Thanks for sharing your heart, my friend.

Laurie Ann said...

P. S. Check my blog - I have a happy for you!

Aunt Angie said...

Cheryl---this is too neat---that I land here tonight. I have had a friend call me TWICE to ask me about the scripture in Joshua. Choose you this day....and then to read it here!
I just wanted to let you know you have been on my heart today and yesterday. Been praying---I have your name, Jan and Joyce's names on my calendar page for this week to pray for you all this week. May the LORD load you with strength for the journey! Peace and healing! I believe it for them!
I hope your week is full of His blessings. You are such a blessing to many!

Lauren said...

Great devotional!

Thanks for stopping by and visiting me!