Monday, April 21, 2008

~Worry~

"Worry is like a rocking chair, it will give you something to do but it won't get you anywhere!"

When I look at a rocking chair I feel peaceful, which is the opposite of worried!

Isn't peace what we long for?

Paul wrote about finding peace in the midst of our worries in Philippians 4:6-7. He said, "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (NLT)

I want God to guard my heart and mind with peace as I tuck myself into Jesus and live in Him. The NIV translation says, "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I wonder if God's peace could transcend my need to understand! Sometimes that is my biggest problem, I can accept what God is doing if He can just help me understand why He's doing it that way.

So, how do we get God's peace that is far more wonderful than our minds can understand?

Paul gives us a prescription for the antidote of worry, and a thankful heart is one of the main ingredients...

Stop worrying
Start praying - tell God what I need.
Thank God for what He's already done

How many times do I take the wrong prescription? Here are the ingredients for worry: Do not be calm about anything; instead complain about everything. Tell God what He should do.

Then take control if He doesn’t listen. And the anxiety that consumes your thoughts will devour your peace as you fold your arms and turn away from God!

We need a new drug! Pauls reminds us that God offers just what we need to experience peace. So, today when our concerns consume us, let's choose to stop and empty our hearts of our worries, talk to God about what we need and THANK HIM for His faithfulness and provision. I try to do this in my journal by listing all the times God has been there for me or my family. It's amazing the peace that comes when I choose to do these things and put my trust in Him.

“You will keep in perfect peace, (her) whose mind is steadfast, because (she) trusts in you.” Isaiah 24:4

1 comment:

AngelK said...

Hi Cheryl, first time visitor. I liked the name of your blog so I decided to visit. BOY YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH ME!!! Sounds like we have alot in common girlfriend. I struggle with the very same things you wrote about so eloquently. I must admit that sometimes it is really hard to understand where God is coming from. Like today, I found out that my Aunt, whom I am very close to, has breast and lung cancer. It has not been a very good day for me. I needed your post. Thanks and I will return. God Bless!